Weekly Quiz – True or False: ‘Matte’ and ‘Dull’ are the Same Thing

Answer: False!

In the world of paper, there are two broad categories: uncoated and coated.

Coated paper refers to an offset paper that has been coated with a surface sealant, typically clay, to improve the paper’s brightness, smoothness, and other printing properties.

These papers come in numerous options: Gloss, Matte, Dull or High-Gloss (aka “cast coated”).

So what’s the difference between Matte and Dull?

Matte. A Matte paper is a non-glossy, flat looking sheet. It provides a glare-free, easy-to-read surface. Matte papers are considered the bridge between coated and uncoated paper. They are not super-calendered so they are less expensive and slightly bulkier than Dull coated sheets.

Dull. A Dull coated paper provides a smooth surface with little or no gloss, having a sheen rather than shine. Falling in between Gloss and Matte papers, Dull paper is great for high print definitions and low light reflection.


Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


© 2002 - 2024 PaperSpecs

Log in

Forgot your details?