Twelve papers and 12 different print techniques display 2015 like a blank page offering a space on which to act, to write.
At the close of 2014, Spanish printer Minke commissioned design firm Atipo to create a promotional piece to send to 250 of its customers for the 2014 Christmas season. The brief was wide open, and Atipo quickly drew creative inspiration from an article that talked about the ability of the Inuit to recognize many nuances in the color white. That inspiration crystallized into a monthly calendar with 12 sheets dedicated to the concept of “white.”
But the client took the idea of featuring a dozen different white papers a step further, suggesting that they combine each of the 12 sheets with different printing techniques and finishes. Given that the client was the printer, Atipo accepted the challenge.
The team used one-color offset printing, letterpress and Inkjet UV throughout the calendar. The finishing and binding techniques included etching, hot stamping, 3D varnish, blind deboss, emboss and high build spot UV varnish.
The end result was not only an intriguing preview of the year to come, but also a clear demonstration that with a host of different papers from which to choose, just about anything is possible year-round.
The 12 sheets featured in the promotion included:
- Antalis Olin Smooth Absolute White 300 gsm
- Arjowiggins Conqueror Connoisseur 100% Cotton Soft White 300 gsm
- Gmund 925 White Silver 300 gsm
- Gmund Ever Aomori 300 gsm
- Gmund Kaschmir Cloth White 400 gsm
- Legion Paper Colorplan Vellum White 350 gsm
- Legion Paper Rives Tweed Natural White 350 gsm
- Mohawk Arjowiggins Curious Matter Goya White 380 gsm
- Mohawk Arjowiggins Curious Cosmic Mercury Pearl 360 gsm
- Mohawk Arjowiggins Curious Translucent Clear 240 gsm
- Neenah Paper Crane’s Crest Pearl White 365 gsm
- Scheufelen Heaven 42 400 gsm
Love this piece?
Like it and share with your friends below.