With this latest issue, Digital Color Concepts once again takes us on an unforgettable journey. The fourth edition, the first to be produced completely by digital means on digital papers, explores the food culture of New York City. From taco trucks to the fine-dining rooms of haute cuisine, the talented creators (photographers, graphic designers and printers) tell the stories of food and people from every corner of the globe in sumptuous slices of life.
Untying the twine securing an outer wrapping of brown Kraft paper mounted to white butcher paper, I got quite a shock: printed images of raw pork and poultry. This revealed a chipboard sleeve that resembles an unbound hard cover case. The spine is wrapped with black linen tape; the front cover displays the DV4 logo made from white vinyl, which has been sliced into a pattern of julienned shards (this graphic element repeats throughout the printed pieces). The sleeve holds eight adventure-filled booklets.
There are too many wonderful elements in this package from papers (like Accent Opaque and Endurance) to formats and images to do them all justice, but we can say it offers creative inspiration at every turn, flip and unfold.
Some of the memorable moments in these booklets for me included:
- Intimate photographs that set mood and atmosphere and reveal unobserved details
- Exquisite color reproduction (at times seeming three dimensional)
- Meaningful formatting that sent unexpected messages (e.g., the portraits in the Holy Apostles Soup Kitchen booklet where every page is cut into four pieces so you can flip the sections creating new faces from the various features)
- Playful bonus pieces like the piece of Mylar printed with the sheet music for the Mister Softee jingle
- Useful items such as the placements (padded and backed with chipboard) that also send you on an interactive fast food tour via QR codes.
In all, this project is thematically compelling, texturally rich and deliciously creative.
Love this piece?
Like it and share with your friends below.
About the PaperSpecs Gallery
We’ve created a curated space where design, paper and printing excellence are celebrated and made very visible – for those who love the medium of paper. For those who want a little inspiration. For those who may be your next clients.
What’s in it for you?
As well as receiving exposure for your work (and the admiration of your peers), a feature video about your project might appear on the PaperSpecs website.
Go on, Show us What You’ve Got
Those selected to appear in the PaperSpecs Gallery will be notified by e-mail. Not all entries will be selected for inclusion. We’re looking for those printed pieces that are truly inspirational in terms of creative and appropriate use of paper, and excellence in design and printing.
We can’t wait to see what you’re capable of!